Our living room is long and narrow and has no ceiling lighting. Convenient huh? We have been struggling with lighting the back corner of the room. I knew I wanted to create a hanging lamp since the wall space was empty and it wouldn’t clutter the floor.
There is an antique shop I walk by often that has hanging metal orbs in the window and I absolutely love them. If they weren’t about $300 a piece they would be hanging in my apartment right now. Since those are not an option, I set out to find something I could make myself that was in a circular shape. Pinterest had some good options but nothing that truly fit.
That’s when I came up with the idea to use a globe. It’s circular, it’s unique, and the colors are perfect. I had very low expectation for ever finding a nice globe to use. But lucky me – I found one at the first thrift shop I went to for $7. BAM.
Check out the details below to make your own globe light.
-Globe 38in diameter
– Ceiling hooks
– Light kit (I bought mine at Ikea but they have them at any hardware store) This includes:
– Light bulb
– Chain (optional)
1. Pull apart the globe so you have just the sphere. It will probably require a screwdriver to take off the base and then you can pull the rest apart by hand.
2. Decide how wide you want the opening to be. I chose the 60 degree mark. I wanted it to give off enough light from the bottom but also leave plenty of the globe. Using a box cutter carefully cut a circle out of the bottom of your globe. Be super careful when doing this part. Maybe ask the people around you if they would be willing to take you to the emergency room if anything happens.
3. Measure the diameter of the light bulb and cut a slightly smaller circle in the top of the globe. The globe will sit on top of the light so make sure the whole is small enough to easily rest.
4. String the light through the globe.
5. Screw the hooks into your ceiling. Follow the directions on your light kit for the best installation of your globe light.
6. Turn on and enjoy!
– Create multiple globes to hang together.
– Hang multiple size globes to add variety. These could be lights or just plain globes.
– Find a clear or opaque plastic globe for extra light.
– Cut the globe in half so you have 2 that give off a little more light.
Looking for more home decor ideas? Read about my secret to painting your own artwork.