I was never actually sure if I could make a Kindle case with repurposed bike tubes. I had the general idea in my head before I started but not the details.
A few years back I scoured my dad’s shop looking for things he didn’t need that I could use. Bingo. Bicycle and motorcycle tubes. I created these earrings out of bike tubes a few years ago but never returned. The tubes floated around my craft supplies just begging to be used.
I opted to repurpose motorcycle tubes for this project since they are thicker and offer more protection. My original plan was to sew the pieces together. It made the most sense for strength and durability. I think this would have been more do-able with bicycle tires… The motorcycle tubes were a little thick for my machine. After adjusting my tension, I was able to make it work but it still looked messy.
Attempt number 2.
Sometimes I think my world is put together with hot glue and E600 glue. I love the stuff. It can handle anything. Including bike tubes. I will admit I am nervous about the longevity of the adhesive. We are talking about rubber and glue… I’m rubber and your glue…
For added protection, black flannel lines the inside. I used my machine to sew the pocket but it is just glued to rubber. E600 knows what it’s doing.
The closure was a last minute inspiration. I bought buttons to use for the closure but I was never very happy with them. The plastic seemed all wrong and they were a little bigger than I liked. I was pretty psyched to make the washers work for the closure.
This is a project I honestly didn’t have high hopes for. Too many problems along the way. Too much uncertainty. I figured I would give it a shot and see what happened. Surprise! High five Lauren.
I like the thickness of the material. Even when I toss it in my bag, I know it will be protected. I love the varying textures throughout the tubes. I like that none of the pieces match up. I like the measurements written on the side.
Now, what else can I make with repurposed bike tubes