DIY magnetic flower pot with air plants are a fun way to bring light and color to your office or kitchen. Any indoor wall planters save space and bring the plants up to your view.
I have started a love affair with air plants.
What is it about a plant that doesn’t have roots and grows the most gnarly leaves in the most interesting shapes. These little friends are my new work buddies and I love having them there.
Air plants are perfect for the office because they don’t need a lot of light (cubical safe). And while most humans hate the harsh fluorescent lights of an office, these little guys flourish under them. Here is a great resource for caring for air plants if you are interested.
I have been thinking about ways to personalize and update my workspace. This is as far as I have gotten but I have been brainstorming other ways of making my space a little more inviting.
These magnetic flower pots are made out of Fimo clay, a soft polymer clay that solidifies in the oven. It’s easy to mold and work with and quick to bake in the oven. Plus, if you are feeling adventurous, you can blend the colors or marble them together. My pearl pot came out looking almost marbled which I loved.
1. Flatten clay out with a rolling pin
If you are having issues with it sticking, try a pint glass or wine glass. The glass helps a lot. You’re aiming for 1 inch wide and 4 inches long.
2. Cut final Fimo 1 inch by 4 inches
3. Score the Fimo lightly one inch apart
4. With the scores on the inside, wrap your cube and gently press the edges together.
It’s hard to see in this photo, but I cut the edges on an angle to help press them together. I did not want any overlap.
It’s hard to get the edges to blend perfectly. But this seam will go in the back.
5. Cut one more 1×1 box for the bottom.
6. Cut the edges of the bottom to fit. Since you don’t have to worry about a waterproof pot with air plants, and they love a little air circulation, the bottom does not have to be perfectly fit.
7. Use E6000 or something similar to glue small magnets to the back of your box.
8. Fill with air plants of your choice and place anywhere magnetic.
PLUS I just started an Instagram account for my blog. I would super appreciate a like! Head over here. THANK YOU.