Create a canvas kitchen banner or flag to add some color and fun to your kitchen. Or to use it to cover something up like I did!
We have been in this apartment for over 2 years and I still have not covered up the circuit breaker in our kitchen. It is ugly. When I was first moving in, I stared at it vowing to find something to cover it up ASAP. Well, 2 years later and it’s still there. It’s amazing how long things can bother you and still you don’t fix it. It was an awkward size and in a weird place so I couldn’t just cover it up with something I already had. I had to find and make something new. I am happy to say, I found a solution and actually covered up the eye-sore in our kitchen. Check out this canvas kitchen banner
– 2 pieces of white canvas 13x20in
– Acrylic paint
– Vinyl for stencil
– 15in dowel
– Iron fusing web
– Paint brush
– Rotary cutter or scissors
1. Cut two pieces of canvas, 13x20in
I needed to use two pieces of canvas because you could still see the circuit breaker through the fabric. I ended up really liking it extra think because it lays nicer and looking better.
2. Use iron fusing webbing to seem the 2 pieces of fabric together
I only used the webbing, I did not sew around the outside edge. I wanted to keep the edges looking simple and clean but you can always stitch it to keep the two pieces together.
3. Use a stencil or create your own
I used my Cricut to create a stencil for these pieces. (I told you you would be seeing lots of Cricut projects on this blog) The vinyl was perfect for keeping it still. If you don’t have a Cricut, you find tons of stencils to use at a craft store or online. Or you can always cut one out yourself.
4. Use acrylic or fabric paint to paint the design
5. After it dries, carefully peel the vinyl away from the fabric
6. Sew an inch seam at the top of the fabric for your dowel to slide through
7. Slide the dowel through the gap and hang the kitchen banner on the wall
It turned out great and I am super happy that you can no longer see the circuit breaker. SUCCESS.